Saturday, April 21, 2012

La Despedida


My family came to me in support on the roughest day I had preparing for the run.  I had only a few hours before left to attend the preparation ceremony for the runners in San Diego.  As I was waiting for my last paycheck, which never came that day, I was frantically searching to find my camera charger and my passport.  Once I realized I had accidently recycled my passport amongst piles of papers a few months earlier, I was instantly defeated.  I needed it to pass through Canada, Mexico and Guatemala.  Without it I was stuck.  I began thinking to myself that it was a sign I shouldn’t go.  Financially and emotionally speaking, there were and are many reasons for me to stay and take care of my present life at home.  So when this happened, I wanted to call it all off.  Giving up was simply easier.

But a few minutes later my family started knocking on the door to spend time and see me off.  They were specifically dropping their normal Thursday happenings to come support me.  I couldn’t just give up.  I couldn’t imagine disappointing them.  I talked with a few of my tías and with laughter, hugs, and soothing words, I calmed down and knew everything would work out.  (And it did.  I was able to expedite a new passport and received it yesterday afternoon!)

That night I received words, good words– words of wisdom and of gold.  I may not be able to recollect each phrase word for word, but I remember the emotions.  I remember the feeling of comfort, stability, pride, and faith.  My body remembers and with that I can confidently say that when situations present themselves, I’ll remember those words and I’ll know what to do. 

In all, I know I’m never alone on this journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment