Monday, January 7, 2013

Back Home


Good day,
It has been many months, days and hours since my stories of the run have passed unwritten.  Now that I am home, safely tucked into my bed and living on the internet looking for work – I will start to record the lessons I learned, stories I heard, things I saw and food I tasted. 

So let me begin with my end, with the moment that proved to me that my work as a core runner on the Peace and Dignity Journeys 2012 was done.  In the picture displayed you see four children in a clear blue lake gathered in a tight circle.  What these children are doing is combining water from this whole continent, from this entire world, in this lake.  As runners, from the beginning, in Chickaloon, AK and Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, we collected and prayed over waters from streams, lakes, rivers, oceans, reservoirs and springs.  Along with the collection of these waters, we collected stories, histories, memories and friendships- some of which I will retell at a later time.  But in this moment, like many of our creation stories, the children are present and are doing the work.  It is simply a beautiful sight to see.

But why the end for me?  We still had two days left of closing ceremony at this moment, so why not then when it was ‘officially’ over?  It was the end for me because I got to see Xalli, my family, my cousin, my fellow danzante of only 13 years old, participate and handle the water - the water that represented the world.  She, my Tía Juanita, my Tío Jaime and my other cousin Gavi, were all able to attend the closing ceremony.  Words can’t explain, how much my heart filled and how much my soul smiled at their presence – no matter the time I spent on dictionary.com and thesaurus.com searching for the right words.  Seeing her there solidified my reasons for running and made all the sickness that passed through me, and all the pain and discomfort my body felt, worth it.  Life made a complete circle for me and I knew that thereafter laid a new one.  The work for PDJ 2012 was then done.  

Now to prepare for 2016 ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment