Thursday, January 17, 2013

Santa Paula, CA

Los Angeles, CA -- I carry the Santa Paula staff

In late August, the Coastal California runners ran to Malibu.  It was there that I spoke with a man named Raymundo who had created a staff to add to the bundle.   It was a staff of short stature with a snout at the top.  Raymundo carved both eagle and condor onto its side and placed four local feathers onto it.  Around its middle laid beaded white and blue waves.  A beautiful staff - as all of them are.  He told me it was the Santa Paula staff and it represented the small community that ran along side Southern Californias 126.  In this town, youth struggle with gang violence and affiliation, among other things.  The people and land struggle for health and peace.  Their struggle is not unique, but for reasons unknown to me, the staff touched me and I accepted the responsibility to care for it and bring it back.  

Last week, the reason for why I accepted this responsibility became clear.  I joined my father, Richard Santana, on his trip to Santa Paula where he spoke to Isbell Middle School faculty (reminding them of why they chose to become teachers and encouraging them to out love students) and with the students (warning of the things they will face and empowering their identities).  It brought a great joy to carry the staff on this campus and see the faces and lives I for months prayed for.  Before the student presentations, my father and I waited in the front office watching as students and staff members a like shuffled to get ready for the day.  Amongst this bustle Raymundo walked in to receive the staff back.  As that moment unfolded, I saw as my father got up to greet his old counselor and friend with an embrace.  They have known each other since the 70s when my father was a student and Raymundo a counselor.  One teaching and the other learning justice, respect and culture through art.  I had no idea.  It was an astonishing moment where I realized things do really happen for a reason and life really does work in circles.


No comments:

Post a Comment