Monday, January 21, 2013

Who to Turn to?


Chicano Park - San Diego, CA 2012

I ran around Lake Merritt twice today with my parents.  On our way home we again saw the homeless man, stationed at the freeway exit, like most days.  We often wondered about him because he once looked healthy and full.  Was he new to the streets?  Was he getting help?  Nowadays he doesn’t look so healthy.  So we wonder what has happened since we first saw him, what has changed?  But today my father answered these questions with a simple statement of: “He uses dope.  I saw him with his pipe the other day.”  This reminded me of a story from the run.

We ran into San Diego, CA on an evening in late August.  The reception was beyond beautiful with the many colors of Chicano Parks’ murals, people, dancers and runners.  Following the ceremony, the danzantes offered their prayers and energia.  I was so happy to be able to share that with them.  A little later after we all ate and were settling down.  We got the word that Abuelo Gustavo had left on his journey.  The following moments were a blur as runners, dancers and community members alike formed a tight circle around the staffs while Gabi, Sharah and I sang The Peace Song by Arthur Dick.  We lite a candle and listened as we gave our blessings and tears to his spirit.  Although a sad moment, it was truly one of the most beautiful I have seen.  This was how we needed to deal with sadness, anger and pain - holding each other, singing together, by sharing as one. 

Sometime in the middle of this prayer my body pulled me out and reminded me once again of my physical needs.  I asked my tía Juanita if she can accompany me to the bathroom.  The bathroom, as some may know, has two stalls with metal toilets and a metal sink (little to no paper- especially at that time of night).  The first stall was littered with stuff I simply was afraid to be near because it was quite gross.  The second stall was in use.  We waited outside to escape the stench until the bathroom was unoccupied. 

Abuelo Gustavo
With some time two women emerged, sweaty, stumbling and in a hurry to get away.  In those few seconds it took me to eat up their presence, I realized what the belt buckle noise I heard in the bathroom really was.  They were shooting up.  Naturally I continued to the bathroom because duty calls.  But once I reached that back stall I stopped.  Only moments before two women sat and stood cramped into this space, shooting poison directly into their blood in order to forget whatever fearful feelings they held within themselves.  Many of you who are reading may not know my personal story, but my biological mother was a heroin addict.  I saw her on it and I saw her withdrawal from it when she couldn’t get her hands on the next fix.  So as you can imagine, it was hard for me to be there in that place and time.  Without thinking I turned around, not feeling my bladder, not feeling anything but heat as it reached my face with newfound tears. 

That night I thanked Abuelo Gustavo for his work to unite people and to create healthy relationships with others and ourselves.  I thank him for the circle that was created that night on his behalf.  And I hope that one day that homeless man down the street, those two women and my mom will not have to turn to drugs, but have a circle of family and friends who they can cry and sing with.

No comments:

Post a Comment